Thursday, July 8, 2010

yes mother

"Yes mother" she replies with snide sarcasm.
"You're not my mother" she yells at me.

I try, I really do try, to be calm and respectful when talking to my Mother.
I try not to ask her questions that leave her frustrated - looking for an answer that will never come. I try, I really do. But, she is so confused and angry.

We go to the ATM to withdraw cash to use at the grocery store. She stuffs the wad of twenties into her purse, her open purse that she won't zip up, her purse that she leave in the baby seat of the grocery cart.
Mom, please zip you purse.
"Yes mother" she whines.

Where does this attitude come from? Was this my reply to her when I was a kid? I don't think so. We didn't have an adversarial relationship when I was growing up.
Who is this 'mother' that she is angry with?
Why does she have to be so mad and angry with me?

No comments: