Monday, August 9, 2010

live free or die

You know how you see things differently sometimes. The motto of the state of NH is "Live free or die." It is on most every NH license plate. This quote is in my sight all the time. The quote, by General John Stark, continues "Death is not the worst of evils."

Didn't Professor Dumbledore say something like that too? "He accepts that he must die, and understands that there are far, far worse things in the living world than dying." (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows chapter 35)

Living without freedom, as a slave, as an oppressed and conquered people. Living without love. Living without you abilities. Living without your mind.

When we discuss moving out of her house and into an assisted living facility, Mom always gets angry and upset. She says things like "Don't put me in a jail." and "I'm not ready to give up yet."

I just read the book Living in the Labyrinth: A personal journey through the maze of Alzheimer's by Diana Friel McGowin. A very powerful first hand account. Diana writes about not letting her family know what mistakes she's been making. "I mustn't get into any trouble or I will be forced to relinquish all of my human rights."

Will Mom give up her will to live if she is not free in her own house? Will she die if she is not free?

What about my argument that she will be free from meal preparation, free from isolation and loneliness, free from worry about her home falling down around her?

Live free or die. What do we do?

No comments: