Wednesday, January 19, 2011

snow day

Today we had another big snowstorm, I wasn't expecting it, at least not the amount that greeted me this morning. I felt jubilation. That feeling, just like when I was a kid and they would cancel school because of the snow, and you had a whole day with no responsibilities.

Growing up, both my parents were teachers, on snow days, we would get the phone calls, early in the morning, 5:30 at the latest, if school was cancelled. Of course Dad taught school in a different town and just because he got to stay home didn't mean we did. One very snowy winter I think Dad only taught five days the whole month of February.

So this morning (late morning!) I put on my snow-pants and boots and joyfully went out to shovel the snow. It was the nice deep fluffy kind of snow. Everything was so beautiful and white.

Let it snow. I thought. Let it snow - let it snow - let it snow.
Mom is safe. I don't have to worry about her today!

I don't have to worry that her power will go out.
I don't have to worry that she can't keep the wood stove going.
I don't have to worry that she will leave hot ashes on the wood porch.
I don't have to worry that she doesn't have water.
I don't have to worry that she won't have water to flush the toilet.
I don't have to worry that her pipes will freeze.
I don't have to worry that she will freeze.
I don't have to worry that she will use the oven to heat the house.
I don't have to worry that she will not eat or drink because the power has gone out.
I don't have to worry that she will lock herself outside, in only her nightie, while she feeds the birds.
I don't have to worry that she will slip on the icy stairs.
I don't have to worry that her aides won't make it up the driveway.
I don't have to worry that she will not get her medications today.
I don't have to worry that she won't get plowed out.
I don't have to worry that nobody can make it up her driveway.
I don't have to worry that she will get her car stuck half way down her driveway.

Let it snow - I am home today - a day with no overwhelming and exhausting worry - for Mom.

2 comments:

Debbie's Garden said...

It sounds like you get to enjoy a snow day with the same feeling you did as a kid! No worries and a free day! NICE!

Sakky said...

I am glad for that. I like when you don't have to worry <3