Thursday, October 27, 2011

six little quilts

Well, I have some exciting news! Six of my Priority Quilts will be at the International Quilt Festival in Houston TX next week. These six little quilts will be a small part of the HUGE Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative (AAQI) special exhibit and sale. The AAQI is bringing 1500 Priority Quilts to the festival. Fifteen hundred - wow! Everything is bigger in Texas.
The AAQI put together a fun video to show some of them, if you don't blink you may see one of mine.

I started quilting for the AAQI one year ago. I have made it one of my priorities to make Priority Quilts. With all those sleepless nights worrying about Mom, it's not a hard thing to do.

The International Quilt Festival in Houston is one of the largest and most prestigious quilt festivals in the country. To have a quilt pass the jury and be exhibited into the show would be a real honor. My beginner quilting skills are far, far from that day.

So it's been providing me with a laugh, that I can say with all the truth of a Alzheimer's-caregiver-fiblet, that "I have a quilt at THE Houston quilt festival".
It's like saying "I went to MIT", when in reality I took one post-grad course, off-site, pass-fail.

If you are in Houston next week, November 2-6, go to the George Brown Convention Center - exhibit hall row T, and see the 1500 AAQI Priority Quilts. (It's in the same area with Project Linus and 1,000,000 Pillowcase Project. Two other great groups.)

The AAQI always has Priority Quilts for sale on their website.
(The AAQI project ended and their website closed Dec 2013.)

No comments: