Friday, November 1, 2013

my brother sings

My brother came east to visit.  It was great to see him and have him stay with us.

The first few visits with Mom went very well. She recognized him. She was even able to connect him to that guy in some old pictures. I was amazed.

She was talkative, it was all a garbled mess, but she was chatty. She had something to say and we just blundered along in her "conversation".

He even got Mom to sing along to three songs, I was thrilled. She even wiggled her bottom a little when we were singing Gray Squirrel

Because she was in a very chatty mood, she sometimes got stuck on a syllable and stuttered around before landing on another syllable.  My brother described her as talking in scat, like the amazing Ella Fitzgerald

It's not what you say - it's how you say it that's important. Our tone, inflection, and mood convey everything.

Hey Mom, I love you too, have a great day, I'll be back tomorrow.
"... hey hey hey skeep-beep-beep-beep de bop-bop-bop bo-do skeetle-at-de-op-de-day!"

Then my Brother got to see Mom on a not-so-good day. She was in her zoned-out mood. Just staring off into space.  Then she would HOWL and HOWL, uncontrollable sobbing.  What thoughts are running through her mind that make her so so sad?  What causes such heartbreaking sobs?

Oh Mom, we love you, it's all right, we're here, you don't have to cry.
"... doop de dooop de doop de dooop..."
 

No comments: