Tuesday, August 30, 2011

book review

I just finished reading the book Alzheimer's in America: The Shriver Report on Women and Alzheimer's. It's a somber read. It's a concise synopsis of the effect of AD on everyone. Yes the title specifies Women, but it talks about all of us, those with the disease and those who have to care for them.

The most powerful part of the book is that many of the chapters of the book are written by other people. People who have AD and people who know someone with AD. It is the raw emotion of their words that reminds us that we are not alone. It is akin to being at my support group. Sometimes it just helps to know that you are not the only one going through this. You nod your head and cry too.

Thank you, Maria Shriver, for using your VOICE to educate people about Alzheimer's and it's impact on all of us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recommendation. I've added it to my Amazon.com list. I also have Maria Shriver's DVD set "The Alzheimer's Project" (a three or four disc set). I only watched part one of disc one because I was crying too hard. But I plan to finish it eventually. :) Thanks for blogging.

Emily www.emuf.blogspot.com